South Gate Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Job Announcement
3350 Tweedy Blvd, South Gate, CA 90280 | (323) 567-1203 | Open M to F 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
ABOUT THE SOUTH GATE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
The City of South Gate is the 17th largest city in Los Angeles County with approximately 100,000 residents. Since 1945 the South Gate Chamber of Commerce has served as the voice and advocate for the South Gate business community. There are approximately 5500 businesses located within the city.
The Chamber works at the local, state and federal levels to create a business-friendly environment by building strong relationships with elected officials, city staff and community leaders. The chamber is governed by a 15-member Board of Directors and is a member of the California Chamber of Commerce and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. The mission of the chamber is to optimize the civic and economic well-being within the city of South Gate.
The Executive Director (ED) serves as the “public face” of the chamber and manages all aspects of the chamber’s daily operations. The ED reports to the Board of Directors and sets the organization’s strategic goals, manages the financials and maintains and/or develops relationships with a broad spectrum of stakeholders to build a consistent and powerful business voice within the city.
- Develops budgets and utilizes Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) to manage chamber finances.
- Serves as the chamber’s liaison to the City of South Gate and local policy and community working groups.
- Ensures chamber maintains compliance with appropriate business regulations related to chamber activities.
- Develops marketing plans to increase membership and sponsorship for chamber events
- Develops and executes strategic business plans and chamber goals.
- Hire and manage chamber volunteers and/or part-time staff
- Manage and administer chamber contracts, agreements, and associated deliverables
- General administrative and business duties as assigned by the Board of Directors
- Serves as the Chamber spokesperson for media and/or public speaking opportunities
- Three to five years of experience working for a chamber of commerce, economic development organization or public relations agency as a mid-level strategist.
- Reside within the Greater Southeast Los Angeles County Regional Area
- Bilingual with the ability to speak Spanish ( fluent) and English
- Strong communication skills including written and oral
- Flexible work schedule to attend special events, business/networking functions, and evening community meetings
- Knowledgeable of Word, Excel, Power-Point, and Outlook
- Working knowledge of regulatory and political organizations
- Bachelor’s Degree or Associates Degree plus equivalent work experience of five years or greater
- Reside within the city of South Gate
- Ability to build social media channels
- Graphic design background ( photoshop, keynote, illustrator)
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Annual Salary $33,000 – $36,000 ( depending on qualifications)
- Scheduled Workweek ( Monday – Thursday 9:00 am – 5:00pm; Friday 9:00am – 12:00pm)
- Quarterly Membership, Sponsorship & Business Development Bonus Incentive Program
- Three paid personal days + 8 Paid Holidays
- Three paid sick days
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit the following:
– Cover letter
– Answers to the questionnaire (QUESTIONS BELOW)
To Janet Torres via email at email@example.com or drop off at 3350 Tweedy Blvd, South Gate, CA. 90280, Monday to Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. The deadline to apply ends March 27, 2020, by 4:00 pm.
Questions regarding your skills and experience:
1. Why are you interested in working in the Executive Director role at the South Gate Chamber of Commerce?
2. What skills/experience do you hope to gain working at South Gate Chamber of Commerce?
3. What do you see as your greatest achievement in your role at your last organization? Why?
4. What are the most significant weaknesses in your performance? How do you compensate for those weaknesses?
Questions regarding time management and team player:
1. Provide some examples of working in a team environment. What was your role? What was your contribution?
2. Give me an example of a time where you had a time-sensitive project?
3. What is different about the way you and your most recent supervisor manage people?
4. Give me an example that describes your working style (e.g., probe for independent vs. collaborative; deadline-focused vs. not…).
Questions regarding the job role and expectations:
1. What are your passions? How do your passions tie to the mission of this organization?
2. What do you see as the greatest challenges to the Executive Director role?
3. How would you build relationships between our membership and the City of South Gate?
4. How important is “Community Development” for you? What is your experience in developing Community-based programs? How would the help or help build membership?
5. What is your specific experience in building revenue for a nonprofit? Do you have metrics you can share? Numbers? What was driver? (Memberships? Donations? Grants?) What the timeline?
6. If you are considered for this position, are you willing to undergo a background check? Yes or No